Saturday, July 10, 2010

New Friend & County Fair

Last night we went over to the hospital to meet Emmet's new friend, Sophia. We're so glad she's finally here! It really shows how much Emmet's grown when he's next to a newborn. Here's me with Emmet, and April with Sophia.

Today we went to the Hancock County 4-H Fair. I have to preface all this with the fact that where I grew up, we didn't have County Fairs. I don't think we had 4-H anywhere near us. I don't even remember hearing about a State Fair. So when I moved here and we've got all these fairs, it's a new thing for me.

And, as you may recall, I don't like people... =) At least not huge crowds of people. The State Fair is an expensive gathering of huge crowds of people - not my thing. But Jason likes fairs. Nathan and Amber really like fairs, and have told us that the Hancock County Fair is one of the best. So we thought this year we'd give it a try. And it was fun!

Here's Emmet showing us how much he is enjoying the fair. He's wearing a new outfit his Aunt Eleanor gave him.

They had a collection of antique (or at least old) tractors, so we got a picture of Jason and Emmet on one of them. It's Emmet's first tractor! He's not really sure what to make of it.

And, of course, I had to go see the pigs.
One of the main attractions of a fair is the food, so here's a rundown of what we ate =) While we were waiting for it to stop raining and to meet up with Nathan, Amber, Keegan and Kennedy, I had a piece of Pecan Pie, and Jason had a piece of Turtle Cheesecake. After we met up with them, we wanted to eat some dinner, so we got some York Rite Pizza. You have to follow pizza with something sweet, so I got some homemade Strawberry Ice Cream, and Jason got a Chocolate Shake from the dairy bar. I was tempted to let Emmet try the ice cream, but I thought I'd better not - he's still a bit young for that. We tried some free samples at the homemade donut stand, and topped the evening off with a funnel cake on our way out. It was all delicious!

They also had some buildings with booths for people to advertise. I got a free massage from one place. I entered to win a $10,000 giveaway - you never know, right? And I got an insulated grocery bag, which I'm really excited about. I bought one several years ago, but since then I've not seen any more. And now I got one for free! It was from a Re/Max lady that Jason's family knows.

So all in all it was a very good first County Fair experience, for both me and Emmet.

1 comment:

Amber Waves Of Grain said...

I don't think I knew that about you! (about not liking large groups of people) So glad you guys came last night. We have officially initiated Emmet into the fair circuit! :)